Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Local summer camp teaches girls to rock

The year I turned 13, my parents got me an electric bass for my birthday. My dad's friend - who played bass in Charlie McCoy's band on "Hee Haw" - taught me  "Paradise City," "Summertime Rolls," and "Glamour Boys," but I was destined to rock alone.

There were no other girls in my junior high who were interested. I'd occasionally pick up some Iron Maiden or Cure from boyfriends, but I was never that comfortable playing with them (I didn't realize that aside from death metal riffs, they too knew very little).

I was always jealous of the Donnas and female bands like them who found each other at an early age. What I wouldn't have given for a group of female peers who wanted to rock too. That's what Girls Rock Charlotte is offering in the form of a week-long summer camp.

Girls Rock Charlotte takes place June 23-27 at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center. Girls ages 10 to 16 will receive musical instruction (no experience necessary), form bands, write songs, and end the week with a concert. Between rocking they'll attend workshops on songwriting, DIY crafts (who else is going to make that wicked merch display?), media literacy, yoga, body confidence, women leaders, and zine making.

I think something like this would have made a huge difference for me. Sure, I was surrounded by music from my father's bluegrass musician friends to my boyfriends' death metal bands, but to see someone like yourself who you can relate to providing an example helps you see yourself in that same role. While PJ Harvey and Siouxsie Sioux were fabulous, I couldn't really see myself in them. It wasn't until I met my roommate after college that I even knew another girl who wanted to play music. Maybe with something like Girls Rock, I would've begun playing with other people earlier. Charlotte is actually very lucky to have several talented young women fronting bands now.

But it's not just about a rock n' roll future. Forming bands and writing together is a way to learn teamwork and cooperation while building the confidence in your own creativity to get up on stage and perform. The additional workshops also aid in building self-confidence and creating, instead of simply consuming, art.

The week-long camp, which lasts from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, is $325. Parents can register their kids and learn more about the program online here.