Sunday, December 2, 2012

Are you ready to get the sillies out...again?

My children have had passing fancies with the Doodlebops, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and what's turning out to be a lengthy love affair with Cars (ya know Lightning McQueen), but nothing has captured their devotion long-term like Yo Gabba Gabba. My oldest wants everything orange from drinking cups to his socks to Halloween monster makeup because that's DJ Lance Rock's color. Both of my sons knew how to say all the characters' names long before...well almost anything. And honestly I look forward to new episodes - partly because new episodes are so few and far between, but also because of the new songs and special guests (My personal favorite, "Flying," featuring the younger geeks from "Freaks & Geeks" has actually never aired but you can find it on the "Circus" DVD).

All that said, we are thrilled that DJ Lance and his gang of colorfully wacky creatures are returning to Ovens Auditorium for two shows Saturday, February 16. And by we I mean me and my husband. I may save the news for the kids until Christmas morning. What a super stocking stuffer!

Tickets go on sale to the general public Monday, December 3 at 10 a.m. at www.ticketmaster.com. There are several password protected pre-sales and admission to the VIP Party which doesn't require a password. That, however, will set you way back. I've been staring at the online cart all weekend debating the importance of seeing my two-year-old run up to Foofa squealing her name. The VIP tickets include good seats, but more importantly a pass to the after party where Muno, Foofa, Brobee, Toodee and Plex will take photos with families in their respective "lands" (the backdrops from the show).

I sprung for two party pass tickets the first time Gabba came to Charlotte. There were snacks and party hats, pictures with Leslie Hall, no line at the merch table, and children gathering around to hear DJ Lance tell a story. We have an awesome photo of my husband, our son (sporting his Motorhead t-shirt) and I with all five characters. But VIP tickets for a family of four comes to over $500 and this will make our nearly four-year-old's fourth Yo Gabba Gabba concert and our two-year-old's second. While I highly recommend springing for the experience if you can afford it, I'm thinking my kids will be just as stoked to get their sillies out from the seats of the auditorium.