Monday, February 18, 2013

VH1 "Metal Show" hosts stand up Wednesday

Comedians Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson appear at The Comedy Zone Wednesday through Saturday this week (February 20-23). If you're a music fan you know them best as co-hosts (along with Eddie Trunk) of VH1 Classic's "That Metal Show."

While the focus of their standup is comedy, music is never far from their hearts which is apparent when they're debating what Sabbath record rules or which guitar solo is superior. "That Metal Show" sparks fun debates about music, but I also like that they interview artists that you don't see anywhere else on cable. I recently saw Doro (Pesch, formerly of German metal band Warlock, who I loved as a 12-year-old girl) in an episode. They've had many of my favorites - almost all the original members of Guns n' Roses including a rare lengthy chat with Axl Rose, Lemmy, Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper, and on and on. Even the acts I know little about are interesting. I used to only catch it in the middle of the night, but I recently discovered that it airs mid-morning as well. It's a beacon while I'm pedaling my bike at the Y (I think I'm the only one not watching cable news, Lifetime, "House Hunters," or some configuration of "The View." Ugh).

Both comedians, who often appear together, visited Comedy Zone last year with friend and colleague Andrew Dice Clay. This marks their first visit as headliners. Tickets are $15 to $18. Show times are 8 p.m. Wed-Fri with an additional 10:15 show Friday. Saturday shows are 7 and 9:30 p.m. www.cltcomedyzone.com