Monday, July 16, 2012

Passion pits - group cancels tour, Charlotte date

Passion Pit announced Monday that it's cancelled its upcoming tour, which was scheduled to begin today in Nashville and hit The Fillmore in Charlotte on Thursday. The band reportedly dropped off as a headliner at Ohio's Bunbury Music Festival on Sunday. 


The following message from frontman Michael Angelakos was posted on the band's official website this afternoon: "On behalf of the band and myself I would like to greatly apologize for the show cancelations (sic). In order for me to ensure that there will be no further disruptions I am going to take the time to work on improving my mental health. For now, I'd like to thank all of our fans for their understanding. I hope to see all of you very soon in a much different light." 


Tickets for The Fillmore show were selling well. And while this will be a big disappointment for the band's fans it's also disappointing for the support acts, which included Kishi Bashi and Baltimore's Future Islands. Kishi Bashi is the solo project of violinist/vocalist K. Ishibashi from the indie band Jupiter One who has also toured with of Montreal and Regina Spektor. 


I was particularly excited for Future Islands, who has long played the tiny Milestone club, to perform for a bigger crowd. The group got its start at East Carolina University. 


Passion Pit's tour will pick back up August 2 at Lollapalooza. Its new album "Gossamer" will be released next Tuesday, July 24.