Thursday, April 19, 2012

Concert art, live music at Plaza Midwood's Spring Party this Friday


Charlotte songwriter Jon Lindsay hosts and headlines the Plaza Midwood Spring Party Friday, April 20 at Petra's Piano Bar on Commonwealth Ave. He's been putting together these seasonal parties for some time and they always feature art as well as live music. I'm particularly excited about artists Skillet Gilmore and Matt Pfahlert, whose work will be displayed in Petra's gallery space during the mini-festival and between the hours of 6 and 7 p.m. before the party starts. 

Gilmore, who is married to Caitlin Carey and was also in Whiskeytown, has done a lot of Carolina-centric poster art like the Love Language, Raleigh's Hopscotch Festival, and the artwork for Lindsay's upcoming album "Summer Wilderness Program." Pfahlert's credits include posters for Jeff Tweedy, Trey Anastasio, and the Black Keys. Both will have work for sale. 

Concert poster art combines two of my loves - art and music.When I got my first apartment in Charlotte my then boyfriend and I set about decorating our first place. I already had a few signed and numbered concert lithographs from my favorite band Siouxsie & the Banshees. At Infinity's Images, a sort of more serene new age crystal and candle neighbor of Infinity's End that included framing in the back, I found all kinds of cool prints by artists like Frank Kozik and Uncle Charlie. 

Over fifteen years later my collection of limited edition framed concert posters continues to grow as my wall space decreases. I still get excited when a band I like has great artwork, especially if it commemorates a particular tour or, especially, an individual show. It's something I've discussed with Scott Avett (who turned me on to http://www.gigposters.com) and Explosions in the Sky (who commissioned local artists in cities on its tour schedule to create its posters). My husband and I have even bought posters because we loved the artwork, but not necessarily the band. 

In addition to the art and Lindsay's headlining set, the Plaza Midwood Spring Party includes music from Sinners & Saints, Elonzo, Turnbuckle Jones, Hectorina, Anna Bullard, and Henry Killian. Doors open at 6 p.m., music starts at 7 p.m. and runs late into the night. $10. Click here for more info. 

2 comments :

  1. That concert were awesome theres no doubt about it, seriously I never something like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your sharing,
    This article very useful for me.

    For additional information, if you want Trusted Syncronize Genset Rental Service in Indonesia for any event or something else, you can reach us Arthur Teknik anytime.

    Thanks again admin,
    Warm Regards Blogger.

    ReplyDelete